A project team structure has employees assigned to the same set of activities in a project. Project team structure can be organized in 3 ways -
- Functional based Project Team Structure: In this structure, teams will be organized by their functions and each sub-team will report to the functional manager.
- Project-based Team Structure: Here activities as organized as programs or portfolios and implemented through projects.
- Matrix-based Project Team Structure: In this structure, the authority of the functional manager flows downwards, while that of the horizontal flow is for the project manager.
A project team may have many roles. Few critical roles showed in template and sample are -
- Project sponsor: The person who provides the funding for the project and has the authority in the decisions of the project.
- Steering Committee: The group that is responsible for the regular oversight of the project.
- Project manager: The person who manages the day to day activities and is responsible for the success of the project.
- Business Analysts, Solutions Architects, etc