Use Cases are a common technique for gathering functional requirements in the Business Analysis world where, by ensuring that all interactions are captured, the project team can build confidence that seamless user experience and fully functional product will be delivered according to the needs of the customer.
File Type: Excel
Fields of Use Case Template -
- ID: a unique identifier to represent the Use Case.
- Name: what it says on the tin; should be a clear and short name.
- Description: a brief description (not War and Peace!) of the Use Case.
- Primary Roles / Actors: the type of primary users that the Use Case relates to.
- Pre-conditions: what conditions/assumptions need to be in place for the Use Case to start.
- Trigger: what event will trigger the start of the Use Case.
- Basic Flow: illustrates the set of steps the role will take to accomplish the objective of the Use Case.
- Alternate Flows: illustrates the ‘unbeaten path’.
- Post-conditions: what conditions/assumptions need to be in place when the Use Case is complete.